There is may be a substantial tuition subsidy for this training- Hawaii Energy sponsors will pay $1400 of the $1600 tuition. To receive the subsidy applications must be approved prior to registration. Application is available at sustainablemaui.org.
BOC 2 (Building Operator Certification 2) takes a deeper look at advanced electrical systems, preventive maintenance, HVAC controls & optimization, enhanced automation and building commissioning. Energy efficiency and machinery optimization are key. Expert trainers lead trainees through course work designed for large facilities.
•A technical degree and three years of experience working in operations and maintenance of a commercial or institutional facility, OR
•A union membership at journey level and three years of experience, OR
•BOC Level I certification and four years of experience.
Aquaponics (also known as the integration of hydroponics with aquaculture) is gaining increased global attention as the fastest growing bio-integrated efficient intensive food production system. Aquaponics serves as a model of sustainable food production by following principles:
- The waste products of one biological system serve as nutrients for a second biological system.
- The integration of fish and plants results in a polyculture that increases diversity and yields multiple products.
- Water is re-used through biological filtration and recirculation, a closed system.
- Local food production provides access to healthy foods and enhances the local economy.
Greenhouse growers and farmers are taking note of aquaponics for several reasons:
- Hydroponic growers view fish-manured irrigation water as a source of organic fertilizer that enables plants to grow well.
- Fish farmers view hydroponics as a biofiltration method to facilitate intensive recirculation aquaculture.
- Greenhouse growers view aquaponics as a way to introduce organic hydroponic produce into the marketplace, since the only fertility input is fish feed and all of the nutrients pass through a biological process.
- Food-producing greenhouses – yielding two products from one production unit – are naturally appealing for niche marketing and green labeling.
- Aquaponics can enable the production of fresh vegetables and fish protein in arid regions and on water-limited farms, since it is water re-use system.
- Aquaponics is a working model of sustainable food production wherein plant and animal agriculture are integrated and recycling of nutrients and water filtration are linked.
- In addition to commercial application, aquaponics has become a popular training aid on integrated bio-systems with vocational agriculture programs and high school biology classes.
This Online LEED Exam preparation workshop will prepare you to pass the test with confidence - the first time. Focuses on key information necessary to pass the targeted LEED GA Version 4 exam, including: the LEED implementation process, project site factors, water management, energy impacts, synergistic opportunities, stakeholder involvement in innovation, project surroundings, public outreach, test taking tips and strategies. Included are the types of questions that are asked on the exam so you know what and how to study. Concludes with practice exams. The online version of this class is delivered as four 2-hour live online sessions. Participants taking the online version of this class will have access to video recordings of the class sessions for viewing at their convenience for a period of up to 2 weeks after training completion.