A+ Computer Hardware and Software
A+ is a good starting point for entering a career in Information Technology as it provides foundational skills and knowledge.
Topics covered include:
- Hardware - Identifying, using, and connecting hardware components and devices
- Operating Systems - Installing and supporting Windows OS including command line and client support. Understanding Mac OS, Linux, and mobile OS
- Software Troubleshooting - Troubleshooting PC and mobile device issues including application security support
- Networking - Explaining types of networks and connections including TCP/IP, WiFi, and SOHO
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting - Troubleshooting device and network issues
- Security - Identifying and protecting against security vulnerabilities for devices and their network connections
- Mobile Devices - Installing and configuring laptops and other mobile devices
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing - Comparing and contrasting cloud computing concepts and set up client-side virtualization
- Operational Procedures - Following best practices for safety, environmental impacts, and communication and professionalism
Jobs that use knowledge gained in an A+ course include Help Desk Technician, Technical Support Specialist, Service Desk Analyst, Data Support Technician, and others. It is recommended that you consider continued learning in related areas such as Networking and Security.
This course prepares you for the two parts of the CompTIA A+ certification. Additional study prior to taking the certification exam is recommended. The certification is not included and can be added at the price of the exam.
As a CompTIA Academy, Honolulu Community College uses curriculum and resources developed by CompTIA. Materials are reviewed by their advisors and are continually updated to reflect current industry standards and best practices.
IT Essentials (Cisco Networking Academy) Online
Imagine building a computer then connecting it securely to a network. This exciting first step could lead to a rewarding IT career. Because a sure way to excel—no matter which area of IT you choose—is to learn the right computer fundamentals. IT Essentials covers this as well as shares the career skills needed for entry-level IT jobs. Plus, you’ll enjoy working with Cisco's Networking Academy’s advanced simulation tools and having multiple hands-on labs to really hone your troubleshooting skills and immediately practice what you learn! Also prepare for the CompTIA A+ Certification. No prerequisites or computer knowledge required.